Azimuthing propulsors are propulsors which can be rotated. Propulsors may be mounted in the pods themselves, connected via mechnical drive shafts (such as in Z-drives), or in-line (such as in waterjets).
- Directorial thrust increases maneuverability
- Can be positioned to oppose heeling moments or lateral accelerations
- Can be used for dynamic positioning
- Increased driveline complexity, either by phase change or extended drivelines & direction changes.
- Increased navigational draft due to under hull projections.
- Optimal efficiency requires electronic monitoring and controls.