Choosing a Framing System
When beginning a structural layout for a vessel it is important to review the functionality of the design from both a construction standpoint as well as the cost and economy of the vessel.
- To determine a framing system a designer typically looks to similar ships via the parametric analysis.
- Typical frame spacing lie somewhere between 500mm-750mm
- The designer should have a somewhat finalized general arrangement that shows tank boundries, deck openings (such as hatch openings), and locations of main equipment
- Size (length) of ship
- Hull form of ship
- Weight sensitivity of design
- Internal volume needed (structural encroachment)
- Construction costs
- Regulatory requirements
structural layout method