Direction of the Sea
The eight direction of the seas are:
- Head -- directly towards the bow
- Bow (port & starboard) -- towards the forward quarters
- Beam (port & starboard) -- directly abreast
- Quartering (port & starboard) -- towards the aft quarters
- Following -- directly towards transom/stern
In model testing of seakeeping and maneuverability, the vessel is often considered to behave similarly with seas from either side, reducing test directions to five (head, bow, beam, quartering, following).