Flag of the United States of America
The United States is bordered by three oceans and with a strong naval tradition.
Marine Industry in the United States
In order to practice naval architecture in Washington and Oregon states, aspiring naval architects must pass an examination.
Flag state regulations and enforcement are provided by the United States Coast Guard.
Seas and Shipping
The United States is bordered by the Pacific Ocean to the west, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. The northern border with Canada shares the St. Lawrence seaway and the Great Lakes. The United States also borders the Arctic ocean and Bering Sea around its northern state of Alaska.
Research, Development & Education
American schools offering programs in ocean engineering, naval architecture, yacht design or boatbuilding include;
- Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton FL
- Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne FL
- Landing, Kennebunkport ME
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge MA
- State University of New York - Maritime College, Throgs Neck NY
- Texas A&M University, College Station TX
- United States Coast Guard Academy, New London CT
- United States Naval Academy, Annapolis MD
- University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley CA
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbour MI
- University of New Orleans, New Orleans LA
- Virginia Tech., Blacksburg VA
- Webb Institute, Glen Cove NY